Thursday, May 10, 2007

Silly Girl

Some people believe they are invisible
They drive in traffic, mouths moving, fingers point,
but they are the only ones in the car, laughing;
or they pick their nose thinking no one notices,
or sing off key with the window down,
belting out to a song on their stereo.

I'm just as guilty; I drive down the road, glance
at my features in the rear view mirror, make faces
until I crack up laughing. One eye squinty, the other open,
my lips stretched out of place like twisted Play-Doh.
I release burbling air bubbles trapped beneath my soul.

I get that ridiculous gut feeling as a part of my innards
burst into jiggling belly waggles
an itch to become the fool I am. I can't help myself.
I yell cat meows out the window as loud as possible.

MEOW! M-E-O-W! PRRRRR-EOW!

There. Now I feel better.

(2007)